from Tumblr http://bit.ly/1HpEVp0
USA #IN #LGBT RELIGIOUS PEOPLE: a financially ailing pizza place has raked in hundreds of thousands of dollars from the credulous, in support of their right to choose their customer base. [http://bit.ly/1Ivl0mG]
I will say, I don’t condone or endorse any of the vicious tirade of threats, hate mail & personal sledging of the owners. They are sincere in their beliefs, if slightly confused about the definition of “discrimination”, and I think we have to respect that. Mostly.
Concerns about safety led the owners to temporarily shut the restaurant down, as conservatives rallied to their side, raising over $500,000 through a crowd-sourcing website.
"It is not a sin that we bring gays into our establishment, and to serve them” she said. “It is a sin, though, if we condone — if we cater their wedding. We feel we are participating. We’re putting a stamp of approval on their wedding, and we cannot do that.”
Pressed by Cavuto to explain how that is not discrimination, O’Connor said that it wasn’t “hateful.”
Original story: http://bit.ly/1DuJkXY
Despite not believing that the bill would lead to targeted discrimination against members of the LGBT community, O’Connor told the station that her establishment would use the bill to avoid having to cater events like gay or non-Christian weddings.
"Discrimination" - I do no’ think it means wha’ you think it means. [h/t TPB]
…[the owner] said everything came down to the issue of choice. “That lifestyle is something they choose. I choose to be heterosexual. They choose to be homosexual. Why should I be beat over the head to go along with something they choose?” he asked.
I refer you, sir, to this inspired video: “When Did You Choose To Be Straight?” (http://bit.ly/1DuSYtC)
Snark Of The Day award goes to “Robert S., [who] pointed out the obvious on Yelp [http://bit.ly/1IviWLk, although it’s likely been deleted by now], writing that ‘in all my queer life, I’ve never known a gay to cater their wedding with pizza.’” http://on.fb.me/1DuSXWH
Bear with me - this is long, but I’m concerned about how easily misinformation becomes “truth”, especially to the conspiracy-minded who might Share this on.
Point: IIT’s FB page (http://bit.ly/IITfbIran) states that: “Islamic Republic of Iran has nothing to do with the Shi’ites who damage Islamic Unity”.
Now, that’s curious, because Wikipedia (http://bit.ly/IITwiki) says that, “89% of Iranians are Shi’a and 9% are Sunni”.
And Wikipedia (http://bit.ly/IITwiki-2) also says that, “Most Muslims in Turkey are Sunnis forming about 72%”
Wikipedia (http://bit.ly/ISIL-Wiki) also tells us that ISIL “joined other Sunni insurgent groups” in 2006.
(1) IIT are a group based in Sunni-majority Turkey
(2) IIT write vehement articles claiming that the *real* Islamic Republic of Iran is in fact the Sunni minority, suggesting that the Shi’ite majority are the ones “damaging Islamic Unity”.
(3) ISIL are Sunni, but that doesn’t fit in to the narrative IIT *want* to be true, because that makes Sunnis look bad.
(4) Now (speculating), IIT can concoct a labyrinthine scheme:
* ISIL is not genuinely Islamic or even Sunni
* why, then, does everyone say they are?
* because the US, UK, “Europe”, Israel and some of the Arab states are only PRETENDING to fight ISIL - it’s really a shell game where they distract you with misdirection!
* so, my initial reaction of “Why the hell would Israel be interested in helping to prop up this Islamic Group…?”
* exactly: they’re not really Sunni. Or Islamic.
That’s a massive logical overreach.
Out of interest, the “some of the Arab states” opposing ISIL are (of Muslim populations):
* Bahrain, 67% Shi’a;
* Jordan, 95% Sunni;
* Morocco, majority Sunni;
* Qatar, 99% Sunni;
* Saudi Arabia, 97% Sunni;
* UAE, 85% Sunni. http://on.fb.me/1FtlewO
AUSTRALIA QLD #MARIJUANA: hurry up… and wait?
"We believe that medical marijuana does have an opportunity for clinical expertise, particularly in relation to cancer."
— Jo-Ann Miller, Queensland Police Minister, saying something.
UN v. #ABBOTT: essentially -
UN: you’re doing a bad job
UN: look, we gave you plenty of time to get us a report of your own…
TA: shut UP!
UN: …but you didn’t, so we HAD to go on the evidence we had.
UN: do you unde…
TA: shut up, Shut! Up!, shut UP, shaddup, shaddup, SHADDUP! You’re not even my real dad.
UN: *sigh* OK, then.
My parents live in this town and the city legally can’t tear the tree down to build or anything because the tree has its own legal rights and they can’t do anything about it.
how does. how does this happen. how DID this happen
I love this story because this guy in the early 1800’s had so many great childhood memories of this tree and wanted to make sure it was protected no matter what. So he deeded the ownership of the tree to itself and everyone just went with it.
Then in 1942 this intense windstorm came and knocked the tree over. And people were bummed. But someone had saved an acorn from the original tree, so they planted that and now Son of the Tree That Owns Itself is over 50 feet tall.
And since this new tree is technically the offspring of the original tree it’s considered to have legally inherited the plot of land it’s inhabiting.
Two generations of trees owning land is amazing and if you don’t think this is the coolest thing get right out of my face.
AUSTRALIA - CENSURE MOTION:
• silence re #freeWestPapua genocide v. loud shouting re Bali 9 executions
• incarcerating #AsylumSeekers and #ChildrenInDetention v. placating the least-informed voter
• celebrating International Women’s Day in a “men’s only” club v. self-awareness/good taste