Subscribe / Share

Subscribe Share/Save/Bookmark CONTACT me by e-mail at: earleydaysyet@gmail.com

Tuesday 7 July 2009

diabetes

The phone call I never wanted to get:

Results of your blood tests are unequivocal. You have diabetes. Book a double appointment this week so we can discuss a plan.

Not sure how I made it to the end of that conversation before losing it, but I did. Just.

This is one of the Big Five, the quintet of Bad Things That May Happen Because You're Fat.
* heart failure
* cancer
* high cholesterol
* high blood pressure...
* and diabetes.

I've known for a long time that I'm at risk of developing one or more of these, but it's always been a distant and remote possibility. I've dodged the bullets for so long I'd almost forgotten that the weight might have serious repercussions above and beyond Being Fat.

I am scared to death, and that fucking Black Dog is telling me there's absolutely no point in going on.