Subscribe / Share

Subscribe Share/Save/Bookmark CONTACT me by e-mail at: earleydaysyet@gmail.com

Tuesday 14 July 2009

misinformation

This really irritates me.  I'm doing research into Diabetes and treatment and symptoms, etc etc, because I don't like not knowing what's going on with me. This is taken from the website of the Garvan Institute, but there are a lot of similar lists out there.

What are the causes and symptoms?

Type 2 diabetes occurs because some people cannot respond normally to the insulin they make (unlike type 1 diabetes which is characterised by the body not producing enough insulin). This results in high concentrations of glucose in the blood, which can damage many of the body’s systems, especially blood vessels and nerves.

[...]

You are in a high-risk category of developing type 2 diabetes if you fit any of the following criteria:

  • Over 45 years of age, overweight and/or have a high blood pressure
  • Over 45 years of age and have a family member with diabetes
  • Have heart disease or have suffered a heart attack
  • Have/had high blood glucose levels or have impaired glucose tolerance
  • Have/had gestational diabetes
  • Are overweight (i.e. have a Body Mass Index higher than 25)


[...snip...]


A BMI of 25+ puts you in the HIGH-RISK CATEGORY?!?  Bullshit.

I stand 157cm (5'2").  If I had a BMI of 25, I'd weigh 140 lbs, or 63 kilos.  That is NOT high-risk.  That's WAY normal.